“My name is Chris and I enjoy going to some of the social activities put on by halow. I also work for 16.5 hours a week at a supermarket. I work as a Trolley Assistant in the Car Park. It took me a long time to find work and to decide what I wanted to try and do. These things helped me most when I was looking for work:
- My buddy and my parents helped me to look for voluntary work and jobs and apply for them. The voluntary work gave me some of the skills and experience I needed for paid work.
- Employability often came along to job interviews with me to support me.
- I looked for jobs on websites and in newspapers almost every day.
- I got the job at Morrisons because I went to a job club every other week with my buddy and they helped me apply to Morrisons.
- I tried to be as flexible as possible when I applied for a job. Nobody really wants to work at the weekend but I knew I would have to agree to work on either a Saturday or a Sunday if I wanted a job with a supermarket.
- Most important of all keep trying and do not give up!”